Host Club: Tinker Creek Cycle
Date: July 4th, 2010.
Register before May 15th to enter a draw for FREE entries to XC8 and Falcon Ridge 24 hour race.
Location: Colert Beach on Lake Minnewasta, Morden, Manitoba. Heading West on Highway 3 (Thornhill Street in Morden), head out of Morden, turning south at the Lake Minnewasta Camp Grounds (about 2 -3 kilometers from Morden, at the Super 8 Motel). Head through the campground entry gate (tell them you are entering for the Back 40 Race), then continue south for a few hundred meters and turning right or west once you get close to the boat launch. There will be signs directing you where to go onsite. Please do NOT park along the entry road.
Categories & Distances:
- 80 KM Enduro (5 laps) – Adult (19 and over) male and female – MUST be an exterienced MTB racers. No first time racers.
- 32 KM Enduro – (2 laps) Adult (19 and over) male and female
- 16 KM Enduro – (1 lap) Adult (19 and over) male and female – Best option for first time racers.
- Juniors, male and female (turning 17 or 18 in 2010) – 16 km – 1 lap
- U17, male and female (turning 15 or 16 in 2010) – 16 km – 1 lap
- U15, male and female (turning 13 or 14 in 2010) – 16 km – 1 lap
- No races for kids under 13 years old.
Sign in and Start Times:
- 8:30am – 9:30am – Sign in for 80km Enduro
- 10 am – 80km Enduro Start
- 10:30am – 12 noon – Sign in for all other Categories
- 12:45pm – Staging for 32km, 16km & all Youth categories
- 1 pm – Start for 32km, 16km & all Youth categories
- $40 pre-registration online for 80 km Enduro (t-shirt included for 80 km racers) – Race Day Walk Up will be $50.
- $25 pre-registration online for 32 km Enduro & 16 km Enduro – Race Day Walk Up will be $35.
- $15 pre-registration online for Juniors, U17 & U 15 – Race Day Walk Up will be $20.
MCA licenses are not needed, all racers are welcome, there is day insurance in place for all NON MCA racers.
T shirts will be available on site for Cash or Cheques Only – limited number, first come, first served.
Due to site parking limitations, we are limiting the number of racers for 2010, if we sell out online, then there will be NO walk up Registration on race day. So please pre-register online early to ensure your place at the Back 40.
Race Course Description & Map:
The course is roughly 16 km long. It starts at Colert Beach on Lake Minnewasta. The trail starts with flowing section of single track that heads west along the lake side trail, most of the way around the lake. This section is very flowing, with short but challenging climbs, some short steep decents, short wooded bridges and tight switch back. After the lake trail, there are about 2 miles of gravel roads. Then you turn right (north) off the gravel road and back into some more great single track with a fun downhill, another creek crossing and the challenging Deadhorse climb. Then you turn right and start heading back east, down another gravel road for about a mile, then back into the flowing lake side trail to finish the lap. The trails are mostly hardpack dirt and mostly singletrack.
Fast lap times are just under 1 hour for very fast riders, with less experienced racers taking up to 1:30 hours + to finish a lap. So please be prepared and bring enough water, food & mechanical supplies for the entire race. Their will be a feed zone and tech zone near the start finish.
- All racers bikes must operate a bicycle with both front and rear working brakes.
- All racers must wear a CSA approved helmet while riding on OR off-course (even the parking lot).
- All racers who do not finish MUST report to the officials at the Finishing Line to let them know they are not finishing.
- Riders will NOT be permitted to pre-ride or ride on the course once the 80 km Enduro has started. If you wish to pre-ride, the course will be marked by 3pm the day before the race.
- Riders shall act and race with caution and respect for their fellow racers. They shall be held responsible for any accidents that they cause.
- It is the racers responsibility to know where to “lap” and where to “finish”, if you do not know ask the officials during during Staging on the starting line BEFORE your race.
- A racer must act in a sporting manner at all times and shall permit any faster rider to overtake without obstructing or block in any way (so basically, let faster riders pass, do NOT obstruct them in any way).
- If a rider exits the course for any reason, he/she must return to the course at the same point from which they exited (you must stay on the course).
- Music players and electronic devises are NOT allowed by any racers during any events.
- Handlebars must have end caps.
- Glass containers are not allowed on the course, including the feed zone.
- Spectators should not be on the actual trail of the course if possible, they are welcome to spectate from the sides of the course, but must be careful not to impede any racers.
- Spectators can not help or assist racers with mechanicals.
Limited parking is available at the site. Please car pool with other racers if possible.
Out houses will be available at the race.
Courtesy and Safety:
Signs will indicate that bike race is in progress, but please be aware that marshals do not have authority to prevent people from entering the course and there may be hikers or spectators on the course. Part of the course is also on gravel roads, there may be traffic on the roads, please be careful as traffic may not be aware you are racing, please give vehicles the right of way and be alert and careful at all times.