March 20, 2023 (Hello Spring!)
After almost two years of research, planning, and development we are excited to officially launch our new and improved Kids of Mud Mountain Skills program!
Our goal was to create a teachable skills curriculum that is fun, developmental, and progressive for both athletes and coaches.
In 2022, Manitoba Cycling in collaboration with the Alberta Bicycle Association and Saskatchewan Cycling Association hired former Canadian National Development Coach Ian Hughes to create a MTB program specifically designed for Kids of Mud Clubs.
The end result is 15 Skills supported by coach lesson plans and videos which we hope will support our clubs in developing their coaches and athletes.
In addition to a skills curriculum we have provided recommendations to evolve the program for clubs ready to do so, including:
- Club programming that extends beyond spring
- The introduction of a “Trailblazer Race Series”: Fun, club organized race or series of races or skills clinics
Thankyou to Ian Hughes, Monika Robertson, Marty Gaudet, and our provincial cycling partners in Alberta and Saskatchewan for their collaboration, expertise, and involvement in finalizing the final product.
- All affiliated Kids of Mud Clubs will have access to the new program
- For a list of KOM clubs please visit kidsofmud.ca
- Contact a club near you if you are interested in coaching, volunteering, or registering your child.
- More information on starting a new club here: https://mbcycling.ca/club-information/