Race Licenses Explained

In order to participate in sanctioned events it is a requirement to present your MCA membership.

Licenses and Memberships are valid for one calendar year (Jan 1 – Dec 31).

Cardless/Paperless Licenses

Members will now automatically receive a digital PDF copy of their licence as well as a new electronic format that can be integrated with digital wallet applications such as Apple Wallet and Google Wallet.

An option for a printed card licence will be available for a fee.


General Membership (all ages):

A non-racing membership is required to participate in club rides, activities, and programs that do not involve racing. A general member may upgrade to a race license at anytime.

Winter General Membership

A winter General membership is now available from January 1 to March 31 and from November 1 to Dec 31 for a discounted price. Winter members may upgrade to an annual general membership or race license at anytime.


Manitoba Race License:

For competitors racing within the province of Manitoba only. Applicable for all MCA sanctioned race disciplines, ability levels, & race categories.

  • Eligible to collect Cup points.
  • Eligible to participate and podium at Provincial Championships.
  • May upgrade to a UCI Race license at anytime.
  • A photo upload is optional.

Adult Manitoba Race License: Age 17+
Youth Manitoba Race License: Age 9 to 16
Kids Manitoba Race License: U9


UCI Race License:

(Union Cycliste Internationale)

An International Race License is required for anyone racing outside of Manitoba. A
photo is required for this license type. This license type is available for all age groups
(U17 or Age 17+).


Technical Licenses:

For individuals qualified to perform technical functions within cycling events and organizations (e.g. Coach, Commissaire, Race Organizer are the most common types in Manitoba).

In order to have a technical designation on your license you must at minimum purchase a general membership or be a Manitoba or UCI / CCA license holder.

Swipe/Scroll to view the whole table

Age Categories
Road Ability Level
Mtn Bike Ability Level
Cyclocross Category
Youth (U13, U15, U17)
Cat 5 (Beginner)
N = Novice
Cat 5 = (Beginner)
Cat 4
S = Sport
Cat 4 = C
Elite (23 & up)
Cat 3
E = Expert
Cat 3 = B
Masters (35+)
Cat 1 or 2 (Pro)
(no code) = Elite
Cat 1 or 2 = A

Swipe/Scroll to view the whole table

Note: “Comp” in Mountain Bike is a code created in Manitoba only and does not exist as a National Ability Category, therefore you will not see it as an option when you select your ability levels.  Select “Sport” for your license ability level and select either Sport or Comp when you register for your race.   

Under the MTB Ability level, due to participation numbers in Manitoba, those who select Novice (N), and Sport (S) will be grouped in the same category.

Submit an Upgrade Request

Racers who wish to upgrade their race category for the season should submit their upgrade request at the time of licence renewal.

Annual Club/MCA Affiliation:

Each club President or designate is required to affiliate with the MCA annually by January 31. This allows the club to organize ‘insured’ races, club rides, and club activities as long as activities are preapproved in advance. Affiliated clubs are promoted on the MCA and are eligible to apply for MCA directed funding.

Most clubs in Manitoba require individuals to be a member of their club. The cost of membership and process to collect memberships is determined by the club. Please contact your club(s) directly to discuss member requirements.

Single Event Day Permits

(for non-members who want to try racing)
  • Available for selected/MCA sanctioned events only
  • Event organizers must have specific event coverage in place through the MCA
  • Available for all ages and ability levels
  • Available for all ability categories
  • Eligible for Cup points
  • Eligible for Provincial Championships
  • A maximum of 3 day permits can be purchased per person, per year
  • May upgrade to a Manitoba License or UCI license at anytime
  • The permit is not a license. The permit allows the participant to participate at one event. The permit does not provide the participant with sport accident insurance or liability insurance if injured.
  • Only MCA members/license holders participating in sanctioned activity have sport accident and liability insurance in the event of injury.

Optional Sport Accident Coverage for “Individual Athlete Training” Insurance

The core insurance coverage provided by MB Cycling to its members only applies during sanctioned activities, including races and training. If individuals are training of their own volition, without the sanction of the MCA, this training activity would not qualify for coverage, however, members (general members and MCA license holders) who would like their individual training activities covered can now purchase a “buy-up” for additional sport accident rcoverage as part of your online license purchase on CCN.

There are two options available:

$25.00 Annually

  • For only $25.00 more per year, cyclists can add-on an extension of sport accident insurance for individual Athlete Training.
  • When purchasing your general membership or race license online you have the option to add-on this insurance through CCN at check-out.

$105.00 Annually

Members can further expand cover to include ‘anytime on the bike’, which includes non-training activities like commuting, for an additional premium.

  • When purchasing your general membership or race license online you have the option to add-on this insurance through CCN at check-out.


Brent Brandham

Vice President, Sports & Recreation

Cycling Insurance Program

Toronto, Ontario

Phone: (416) 408-5457