Fast tracking a downtown cycling grid – Calgary did it; Edmonton is doing it; so what’s up in Winnipeg? I am absolutely THRILLED to be hosting one of Winnipeg’s most thought provoking cycling conversations this year! Please mark your calendar to attend this forum on fast tracking a downtown cycling grid in Winnipeg:
- Tuesday, October 18, 2016
- 6:30 pm Registration
- 7:00 pm SHARP – Forum begins
- Millennium Library, 215 Donald Street – Carol Shields Auditorium
The evening format will be comprised of a panel presentation and group discussion. Refreshments, including Sargent Sundae’s pumpkin Ice cream, will be provided. Apologies for the short notice, but fast tracking IS the theme of this conversation! Here’s a brief of overview of what’s happening in Western Canada:
- Calgary: In June, 2015, Calgary opened a 6.5 km protected bike-lane network throughout its downtown. The percentage of Calgarians that reported travelling to work by bicycle DOUBLED from 0.87% in 2011 to 1.75% in 2016.
- Edmonton: On October 11, 2016, Edmonton’s City Council gave the green light to add 7 km of bike lanes to downtown.
- Winnipeg: On October 18, 2016, let’s get this conversation started!
Read more HERE