Date: May 28/29, 2011
Host Club: Portage Junk Yard Dogs
Designation: Stage Race (Road, Individual Time Trial, Criterium) and Western Canada Summer Games Selection Race
Download the organizer’s Race Bible
Contact: Phil Neudorf (email, 204.239.1163 (h), 204.256.3885 (c))
A UCI Racing Licence is required. You must hold a valid UCI race licence. A citizen’s licence or MCA general membership is not valid for Provincial Championships. Riders with a UCI racing licence issued by a cycling federation other than Manitoba (including other countries) may compete, but are not eligible for medals.
- Road Race: $30 pre-registration, $35 on-site registration
- Time Trial: $15 pre-registration, $20 on-site registration
- Criterium: $15 pre-registration, $20 on-site registration
- All 3 races: $55 pre-registration, $70 on-site registration
(All fees are non refundable)
- Pre-register before May 25 8:00 pm at Two Tired Boys, 1200 SASKATCHEWAN AVE. W. PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, MB
Make cheque payable to Portage Junkyard Dogs
- OR FAX: 857-6000 (credit card only with fax)
- OR online – full race only
- Race entry form and waiver for download
Race Sign-In and Registration:
- Road Race (Race #1): Registration/Sign in 7:00-8:30 AM at Notre Dame Motors (close to start line). 150 Hwy 244 South. Pre-registered racers must sign in at this time.
- Time Trial (Race #2): Registration/Sign in 8:00-9:30 AM at start line A. Pre-registered racers must sign in at this time. Hwy 240 North (In Portage la Prairie on Saskatchewan Avenue, turn north onto Tupper Street, aka PR 240 North, proceed for 2 km)
- Criterium (Race #3): Registration/Sign in starts at 2:00 and closes 15 minutes prior to race time. Pre-registered racers must sign in at this time. Keeshkeemaquah Conference Centre, 5000 Crescent Rd W, Portage la Prairie
All racers must still sign-in the morning of the race. Riders must show their licence to the commissaries.
1) Road Race – Saturday, May 28
- Route: 21.5km each way (A to B). 1 lap = 43 km
- Race Profile – ½ lap (A to B)
- Cat 3 – 3 laps = 129km
- Cat 4 & 5 – 2 laps = 86km
- (Note: Category 5 includes Citizen, Under 17 and younger)
- There will be a wheel exchange vehicle on the course following the racers for each race (1 for Cat 3 and 1 for Cat 4 &5).
- There will be a designated Feedzone with location announced at the registration site.
- Riders are not to cross the centre yellow line. Riders may be disqualified at the discretion of the commissaire.
- Parking and washrooms available on site (be sure to thank the owners!)
- Race starts at 9:00 AM
Profile of Road Race Course.
2) Individual Time Trial – Sunday, May 29
- Registration/Sign in 8:00-9:30 AM at start line A. Pre-registered racers must sign in at this time.
- Race starts at 10:00 AM There will be 10min gap between starts of start line B riders and start line A riders to prevent overlapping of riders.
- 24 Km for Cat 3 and 4 (A to C map) (Start line A riders)
- Parking available on side roads for start line A. Port-a-potty at this site
- 17 KM for Citizen, Cat 5, Under 17 and younger (B to C) (Start line B riders) –71 Road North (intersection before turn off to MacDonald)
- Parking available on side roads for start line B
- 1 finishing timer for all (C).
- The start timer will be used at short route B and then brought to A thereafter. Therefore it is imperative that times start as scheduled.
3) Criterium – Sunday, May 29
- Location: Keeshkeemaquah Conference Centre, Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
- Parking is available on the Keeshkeemaquah Conference Centre Parking Lot
- 1.7 KM loop starting at parking lot of Keeshkeemaquah Conference Centre and proceeding clockwise to Cottonwood Drive and Crescent Road West.
- Registration/Sign in starts at 2:00 and closes 15 minutes prior to race time. Pre-registered racers must sign in at this time.
- Race Start:CAT 5 – 3:00 PM, 30 mins + 3 laps; CAT 4 – 3:45 PM 40 mins + 3 laps; CAT 3 – 4:45 PM, 50 Mins + 3 laps
- Category 5 includes Citizen, Under 17 and younger
- All efforts will be made to keep roads closed during the race but exercise extreme caution in the event of sudden vehicle traffic.
- You must race in all 3 events for receive CUP points.
- This event will be used for the selection of the competitors for the Western Canada Summer Games. All riders interested in WCSG will race in Cat 5 and should refer to the WCSC selection criteria document.
- Riders are required to wear a hard-shell ANSI or SNELL approved helmet while racing, warming up, and cooling down.
Courtesy and Safety:
The courses are open and the public can access the course at any point. Signs will indicate that bike race is in progress , but marshals do not have authority to prevent people from entering the course. Keep your head up at all times. Be courteous to all vehicles and pedestrians.
Junior Gear Registration:
Junior gear restriction of 7.93meters will be enforced for all stages. All riders 18 years of age or younger will be required to comply with this requirement either through proper gearing (52×14) or blocking off gearing on cassette. Junior Gear Restriction will be checked the “roll-out” method (aka “junior roll-out” before the start of each stage by one of the race commissaires. It is the athlete’s responsibility to make sure their bicycle is compliant with the junior gear restriction.