The Manitoba Cycling Association in partnership with the Coaching Association of Canada and the Canadian Cycling Association offers development programs for coaches within the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP).
Cycling Coach contexts include:
- Let’s Ride! Community Cycling Initiation
- Ready to Race! Introduction to Competition
- Competition Development
- Level 4 and 5, through the National Coaching Institutes
- Cycling Coach Training – simplified view of workshops needed for each context
Let’s Ride! Community Cycling Initiation
Let’s Ride! Community Cycling- Initiation (CCI) is the NCCP context for coaches who will primarily work with novice, pre-competitive cyclists at the community level, including participants in the Active Start, FUNdamentals and early Learn to Train stages of athlete development. The program is simple, based on a number of pre-designed lesson plans, and adaptable to the varying skill and ability levels of participants. The focus of the program is on having participants develop skills which are basic to MTB, BMX, and Road, in a controlled, off-road, off-trail setting such as a sport field or parking lot.
The program is intended to:
- Ensure participants have a fun, safe, stage-appropriate experience that makes them want to come back;
- Help to develop basic cycling skills which are transferable to all cycling disciplines, and which can be done on any kind of bicycle;
- Introduce participants to the idea of competition and show them the competition pathway if they want to become more involved.
CCI training has two workshops:
- “Let’s Ride!” CCI classroom workshop (5 hrs),
- Basic Cycling Skills practical workshop (8 hrs).
The first workshop provides information on ethical coaching, participants and their needs, basic practice planning, equipment and other important information for coaches of beginner cyclists. The second workshop provides an opportunity for “on-bike” practice in skill teaching and analysis, practice coaching and use of provided lesson plans. On completion, coaches have “Trained” status in NCCP.
- Coach Training Pathways – Community Initiation & Intro to Comp explained
Ready to Race! Introduction to Competition
Ready to Race! Introduction to Competition (R2R) is the context for coaches who will primarily work with new competitive cyclists at the community and club level. These athletes will likely be in the Learn to Train to Train to Train stages of LTAD, although the context could apply to any new racer of any age. These athletes have basic but developed cycling skills and the desire to begin competing within a structured training and competition program. They should have passed through an entry-level Community Initiation program (CCI) to help them develop the basic skills.
Intro to Comp training has 5 workshops:
- Training Basics classroom workshop (8 hrs),
- Basic Cycling Skills (same as CCI),
- Skills & Tactics – 1st discipline – Road, MTB or BMX (7hrs),
- Training to Race classroom workshop (14 hrs),
- Skills & Tactics – 2nd discipline (different from 1st),
Plus an evaluation – Intro to Competition Evaluation Process