Information for Clubs

The Manitoba Cycling Association depends on a strong club network for the continued growth of cycling in the Province of Manitoba. The local cycling club is the first contact most cycling enthusiasts make with organized cycling, and this contact can determine the future of the relationship of the individual and the sport. In addition, cycling clubs continue to organize most races and tours across Manitoba, and are valuable local members of the recreation community.

For these reasons it is clear that strong clubs are vital to the growth of cycling.
Club Affiliation Description & Benefits: (2018 Updates in Progress – stay tuned!)
Affiliate your Club annually with the MCA by January 31rst (Here).

Club memberships must be paid before member licenses can be issued.

What is a Cycling Club? – find out more about General Club Organization
How and Why to Start a Club – Generic sport document

To join an existing club, see Clubs affiliated with the MCA (Here). Simply contact the club of your choice and ask for details on how to join. To participate in club rides and activities and/or to participate in MCA races and events you must be an annual member of the Manitoba Cycling Association.  Read more (Here).

All affiliated clubs must participate in the CC/MCA insurance program unless otherwise agreed to by the Manitoba Cycling Association for the specific year in question. This program is paid for by each individual through a portion of their MCA Affiliate Club Membership, UCI Licence or Citizen Permit. You must meet the following conditions for the insurance policy to defend you in case of a loss:

  1. The club has a current (updated annually) Risk Management Plan(see Risk Management below),
  2. Every member of the club has submitted a MCA waiver (When you purchase your individual license online, the waiver is included in your online license purchase. If Under the age of 18 a signed paper waiver must be returned to the office before the license can be printed)
  3. All club activities comply with published guidelines and are registered with the MCA (see Registered Club Activities below),
  4. All clubs must register annually with the MCA (via our online registration provider CCN) and pay the appropriate Affiliate Club Membership fee. (see Affiliate your club annually above)


A Club must undertake reasonable personal safety measures to safeguard members; such as, but not restricted to:

  • Each approved club activity (ride) should have a ride leader
  • The rider leader should have the means to contact emergency services
    (i.e.- a charged cell phone) and sufficient knowledge of the ride route to direct emergency services to the approximate location
  • First Aid Supplies
  • Risk Management Requirements for Cycling Clubs


What is a club ride/event?

Club rides must be documented and on record with your Provincial Association (MCA). A list of participants must be on file with the club. This can be done via sign on sheet. In the event of an incident, the insurers need to access this information.

The MCA is required to have on file a list of ALL club activities.  If the MCA does not know about the activity, it’s not considered sanctioned/covered by insurance.

This coverage is in effect subject to it being reported prior to the activity taking place and it meets the published guidelines for permitted activities. With affiliation, you are required to submit a schedule of your weekly activities and any other special activities that you are aware of. Any updates to this schedule must be sent via email to the MCA Executive Director for insurance coverage no less than 24 business hours in advance. Use the Club Activity form and email club activities to in advance.  You must receive approval of the activity before it is considered “sanctioned”.

Advance reporting of an activity indicates that some planning took place and that it is taking place under club rules, and the club executive is aware of the activity.


All riders participating in a club activity must be a member of the club hosting the activity, except:

  • One-time try-outs (Contact the MCA for further information)
  • Certain events open to the public may be eligible for sanctioning and insurance under a commercial event certificate.

Activities that are open to the public must be sanctioned by the MCA and covered by a separate insurance fee (commercial event insurance). Please contact the MCA office (204-925-5686) for information on commercial event insurance.

The fact that one is a member of a club does not give them an automatic right to participate in another club’s activities without first joining that club.

Any club found allowing non licensed members participate (excluding one-time tryouts) will find their insurance coverage void and affiliation status revoked.

“Club Page” Opportunity:

Find out how to set-up a CCN online store for your club.
Clubs have the ability to customize their page. Set-up is free of charge.


What does the MCA vs Club vs Members do? Clarifying Roles

Rules of the Road:

The Highway Traffic Act is the legislation that governs the rights and responsibilities of cyclists when riding on the road. The Highway Traffic Act indicates that cyclists should position themselves as close as practicable to the right side of the road. As close as practicable is not specifically defined in the Act so cyclists should use good judgment and assess the circumstances and situation when determining their positioning on the road. Factors to consider include traffic volume, road conditions, weather hazards and municipal lane restrictions.

Bike Winnipeg: Highway Traffic Act Document

For further information on policies that may apply to your club, please see the resources tab on the home page of the MCA website.

Upcoming Events
  1. Race Calendar Planning Meeting – All Race Disciplines

    January 9, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm